Search This Blog

Thursday, March 21, 2019

From the News: For just $14.2 million, you could own a zoo




And not just a zoo, but also a fun park, mini golf, a haunted house, etc - I wonder if they'll lower the price if I just want the zoo?  Or who knows, maybe I can modify the whole place, turn the haunted house into a reptile house or something?

Periodically, when news articles like this are posted, I'll often see a bunch of zookeepers online go "OMG, we should pull together all of our money (all $20 of it) and buy it together!"

That's always struck me as a terrible idea.  Zookeepers are a notoriously fractious lot, and I think that if a bunch of us all tried running a zoo together, with no one in charge, we'd all kill each other and fast.  We'd be fighting over whether to be AZA or not, whether to work free-contact with some species or protected contact, and a thousand other feuds.

I hope York's Wild Kingdom finds a buyer who takes great care of it.  The world could always use more good zoos.

No comments:

Post a Comment