Search This Blog

Monday, June 14, 2021

Sneak Peeks

When I visit a zoo for the first time, I usually like to go first thing in the morning, as soon as they open.  The weather is usually pleasant, the crowds thin, and the animals at their most active.  When I visited the Sunset Zoo recently, I got there a few minutes before opening and was alone in the parking lot.  Well, not exactly "alone" - my zoo-viewing experience began before I made it through the turnstile.


Situated right along the perimeter fence, with no visual barriers, was the colobus exhibit, and as I stood watching, one of the monkeys poked its head out the door from its indoor holding, watching me.  After a moment or so, he decided that I was boring (accurate) and ducked back inside.  Still, it made me happy - it felt like I had a preview of the zoo.  It also made me wonder how many people in this town knew about this, and would swing by occasionally not to go into the zoo, but just to see if the monkeys were out and wanted to say hello.


I've seen a few similar exhibits that are accessible  outside the zoo, such as the harbor seal exhibit above, located just outside the New England Aquarium and visible to anyone strolling down the wharf.  I like the idea of letting the public have a peak at animals, possibly when the zoo or aquarium isn't even open.  A trip to the zoo (and especially aquarium) can be expensive, and not everyone can afford to go too often.  It's nice to offer a little something to members of the public who might not have the time or money or flexibility to duck in for a full-visit.  Even if they can afford it, but might not have the time, it could add a little color and magic to the day.  I saw a few folks in Boston who looked like they were in the habit of bringing lunch down by the aquarium so they could sit and watch the seals before going back to work.

I'd just throw out a few caveats.  The animals should have the opportunity to avoid the public outside the zoo, just as they should have the ability to avoid the visitors inside the zoo.  The animals should be safe from harassment and intimidation.  There should be sufficient barriers between the animals and the outside public - two rows of fencing separated the colobus at Sunset from the folks in the parking lot. Perhaps such exhibits could be put on view only during the open hours, when they can be reasonably monitored (for example, an aquarium with a large fish tank visible from outside, but which could be protected from vandals by drawing down a metal garage door over the glass at night).

I'm not sure if the colobus were meant to be on display like that at Sunset, or if they just hadn't gotten around to putting some shade cloth or other visual barriers up on that section of fence.  I didn't get the impression that it was a deliberate exhibit decision (no signage, landscaping, anything).  Still, it was a nice start to the day.  By the time I walked through the zoo and made my way to the (public) side of their exhibit, I felt like we'd already met.

No comments:

Post a Comment