Search This Blog

Sunday, February 26, 2023

Song of the Vulture

Recently, a colleague of mine at a different facility had the opportunity - just by chance, since it wasn't in an area where she worked - to witness a vulture hatch from its egg.  What impressed her the most about the experience was that, prior to the hatching, she could hear the chick calling out from within the shell.  Considering that the vultures as a whole are not a group known for their vocal range, it was quite a surprise for her.  I know I was surprised when she told me.

I'm sure I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again, but what constantly amazes me about animals is that we still know so little about them.  Even species which are common in the wild or frequently kept in zoos have so much info that is unknown to us.  What that means, fortunately, is that we have so many opportunities to learn more and expand our knowledge.  Every measurement, every observation, even every anecdote can become a new data point.

The famed naturalist Louis Agassiz once told his students, "Study Nature, Not Books."  This was a reflection of how much misinformation had been passed down from generations - since ancient times - and never questioned or reexamined. Granted, I love books and past sources are the foundation of our learning.  But there is no substitute for going to the original source - the animals themselves - and learning from them.


No comments:

Post a Comment