Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Mourning the Lost

My heart goes out to the team at the Dallas Zoo.  As if they hadn't already had a wretched enough year with the vandalism and murder of animals earlier in 2023, the staff were dealt as especially heavy blow yesterday.  Ajabu, a seven year-old African elephant, died of EEHV, the elephant herpes virus which has long plagued elephant populations and is a leading cause of death for these incredible animals.  Ajabu had beaten back EEHV in the past - but this second go-around proved too much for him.  I'm so sorry for his keepers and other staff who knew and loved him, and know it's never easy.

Shortly after the death was announced, I saw the following post from the account Tao of Zookeeping, a response to this loss (but applicable to all loses, including those which don't make the headlines, being associated with perhaps less-famous, but no less-loved, animals), and wanted to share it here.

Reading this, I remember every time I followed a strange sound around a corner and came across one of my coworkers weeping over the loss of a beloved animal.  Depending on who it's been and what sort of support they needed, some of them I would come over and support.  Others I'd back away quietly before they'd see me, knowing that they'd want their space and privacy during such an emotional time.  Which I can understand.

After all, sometimes the crier has been me.

No comments:

Post a Comment