Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Lanterns in the Dark

This late in the year, I've still had a few last minute animal transports to make before the weather turns too cold.  As a result of airlines restrictions (and my general reluctance to ship things when a million packages are already in circulation for the holidays), I've been driving a lot, which has taken me to several zoos in the last few weeks.  Whereas a few months ago I was remarking on how every zoo was decked out for Halloween, now a different décor is in place.

For many years, zoos were big on Zoo Lights - bright strands of lights wrapped around every tree, sometimes forming animals or other shapes, sometimes seemingly animated.  And while some zoos are still doing that, it looks like in many cases they've been replaced by the new winter fad - Chinese lanterns.


Well, I guess they aren't really Chinese lanterns in the traditional sense.  Instead they are giant light up sculptures, filled with colored lights.  I've never been to an evening event to see them, but have seen them being set up at a dozen zoos by now.  Every major conference I go to, I feel like there's a vendor from a lantern company peddling their services.  Unlike the traditional lights, they can make a fairly decent show during the day as well as night, serving essentially as giant sculptures.  Also unlike the traditional lights, they're also a bit more visually obtrusive by day.  The lights you can ignore when they aren't turned on.  A giant panda the size of a small truck?  Less so.  

I'm something of a scrooge under usual circumstances, and I've never been that into holiday light shows.  They just... never did anything for me, never triggered any feelings of beauty or awe.  To me, that's what live, real animals and plants are for.  Still, I can't deny that they are very popular with the public and can help drive the gate at a cold, dark, quiet time of year.  So, I suppose, shine on, you freaky, creepy little (big) monsters.  I'm glad that you brighten up the winters for a lot of folks, even if you aren't for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment