Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

From the News: Species Recovery in the Pacific Northwest


It was with a great dread that I went to search Google News for zoo stories today; I decided to make things easier for myself my omitting the word "giraffe" from the search.  Most of what came up next were the routine notices about births, birthdays, and deaths... and then I saw this:


After all of the bad press lately, it's great to see zoos and aquariums are still carrying on with the important conservation work that they do.  What they need to get better at, however, is sharing those stories with people, including those who might primarily think of a zoo as a place where people go to see animals in boxes.  A zoo - at least a good one - can be so much more than that.

I'm not posting this in the hopes that readers will suddenly decide on a lark to run to Sequoia Park Zoo and attend this lecture.  Instead, I hope it will encourage other zoos and aquariums to speak up more about what it is they do, and why everyone should care.

Among the species to be discussed at the lecture is the spotted owl, which is threatened by habitat loss and competition from/hybridization with the closely related barred owl (above)

No comments:

Post a Comment