Search This Blog

Monday, August 21, 2017

Nothing New Under the Sun

Well, today was the day that the world was supposed to end.  For the past few weeks, I'd been swarmed with visitors, reporters, and other interested parties asking with bated breath about what would happen with our animals during the total eclipse.

I tried telling them over and over again, but no one seemed very satisfied with the answer:  Probably nothing.

Today, we got confirmation of that, not just from my little zoo (admittedly not in the path of the total blackout), but of zoos around the country.

For the humans, it was a day of excitement, awe, and endless reminders not to look up.

For the animals... it was a day.

I did hear one or two folks mention something odd that their animals did during those few minutes.  Maybe some extra activity, maybe some unusual vocalizations.  I'm not sure how much of it meant anything.  Animals do unexpected things all the time, even when the moon isn't blotting out the sun.  In many cases, I don't know if I would say the two are necessarily related, just because they happened to coincide.



No comments:

Post a Comment