Search This Blog

Sunday, June 2, 2019

Zookeeper Paparazzi

Having my photo collection helps me keep track of the diverse animals that I see when I visit zoos and aquariums, and serves as my surrogate memory for species that are no longer with us.  Recently, I've begun to dabble in video as well, very inexpertly.  Video has plenty of advantages - it can record movements and behaviors, it records vocalizations and other sounds (though it can be hard to filter out the sounds of other zoo visitors), and it works great for species which don't stand still and might be hard to get a clear picture of.

An alligator snapping turtle at the Shedd Aquarium, demonstrating its tongue-lure behavior.  With a photograph, I could show the tongue piece that acts as a lure, but it would be hard to truly convey how it worked

My first few videos were taken by mistake when I was experimenting with my iPhone and got stuck in the Live mode, which basically takes three-second videos.  I saw the potential, though, and while I still mostly go for photos, I'm increasingly appreciating the value of video.  Not only is it great for recording animals in a new way for my own enjoyment, but it has value for animal care, too.  It allows me to document training sessions, introductions, and medical procedures, which I can go back and re-watch later to see what worked or what didn't.  I've even been lucky enough to capture the birth of one of my animals on video, walking in right as labor was starting.

Harlequin ducks swimming at Sylvan Heights Bird Park.  I didn't have the best view of these little guys and I really wanted to make sure I got them, so I took a few seconds of footage, from which I was able to screen-shot some still images later.


No comments:

Post a Comment