Search This Blog

Saturday, August 1, 2020

Socially Distant

Like many people, I may have put on a little weight during the shutdown, which we can attribute to the closure of gyms, the existential dread, and, above all, the eating of feelings (I've developed a lot of feelings).  Fortunately, now that our zoo is open again, I'm getting lots of exercise.  Specifically, I'm getting to take a daily sprint to get in and out of the public areas of the zoo as fast as I can before the public arrives.

I don't know when coronavirus will be "over" - I'm not exactly sure it will ever be "over" at this rate.  But when it does end, I know I'm going to be jumpy around crowds for a while.  This is especially true at work, where visitors often don't seem to recognize us as living, breathing beings - more as automatons which serve to facilitate their zoo-going experience.  When I emerge from a back area, I often am approached way too close by people, many shedding their masks, who just have "a quick question" that apparently can't be asked from further than six feet back.


Since coronavirus began, I've paid a total of one visit to a zoo other than the one I work at - and that was for work, as part of an animal transport (another aspect of the career which we are having to rethink in these weird times).  I'm not sure when I'll be able to go to one for my own enjoyment again - and how much I'd be able to enjoy it.  I feel like I'd be spending more time dodging children running amok than I would be admiring animals.

I am glad that we are open again - we needed the money.  Badly.  So did many other zoos, some of whom were faced with the specter of permanent closure.  Still, I do worry about what happens next and how long this will go on, and how long the mentally recovery will take as well.

Wear a mask.  Stay six feet apart.  If you are sick, or have reasonable cause to think that you might have the virus, please stay home.   We can and will get through this... I think.  

No comments:

Post a Comment