Search This Blog

Sunday, January 21, 2024

Zoochosis

I've always had a theory about the popularity of zombie movies and TV shows.  Zombies look like regular people but are really unhuman, unfeeling monsters.  As such, you're allowed to dispatch them as brutally and savagely as possible without even feeling a tiny bit of remorse.  Want to run that six year old boy over with a steamroller?  It's ok, he's not really a kid, he's a zombie.  Want to take off that little old lady's head with a shovel?  It's ok, she's a zombie.  The games let people express violent fantasies, while telling themselves that they aren't really pretending to hurt people.

So you can imagine my trepidation when I heard about the new game Zoochosis, coming soon.  Yay, I thought.  People playing out their Rambo fantasies, unleashed on animals.  Hard pass.

Thankfully, it isn't quite that bad.


In Zoochosis, developed by Clapperhands, you play a zookeeper (at the zoo at night, of course), where some of the animals are being afflicted by a terrible syndrome that makes them slavering, Lovecraftian monsters.  Unlike a normal zombie/monster game, however, the mission isn't to kill the twisted animals; it's to cure them and save them.  And, that, I will admit, did soften things up a little more me.  I like to think that, even in the midst of a zombie apocalypse of some sort, a keeper risking their life to save their charges.

Still a pass from me, though, but maybe others will enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment