Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Cooped

The COVID-19 saga continues (I swear, some day I'll write about something else), and with it come the two competing emotions - fear and boredom.  I'm one of the lucky ones, I suppose, in that I primarily have to deal with the boredom.

My job is safe, which is more than a lot of people can say, and I'm able to continue doing it while many other people at my facility have been furloughed.  Still, even with work, there's a big gaping void in every day.  No errands, except the essential ones.  No visiting with friends or family.  Reduced hours at work.  Even my commutes, when I go out, are shortened considerably by the reduction in traffic.  

I watched Avengers: Infinity War the other day.  When I stepped outside to go to the grocery store later that night, all I could think was, "This is probably what it looked like in the movie, after 'the Snap.'"

Image result for avengers the snap

I've seen a handful of irritating comments on social media of people comparing their current existence to a bored, caged zoo animal.  The animals, I assure you, are getting a lot more variety and socialization than we are right now.  They all seem to be weathering this just fine - perhaps even better than fine, with all of the extra attention being lavished right now.  It's us I worry about.

Reading and watching TV and movies can help, but it also serves to remind you that there's so much else to do out in the wide world, which is currently closed for business.  I took the chance of a slow day to catch up on Animal Planet's series The Zoo, which, as much as I love, I'd barely made a dent in.  It made me happy... but also stir-crazy.  I wanted to go to the Bronx Zoo, that very moment, and see animals and maybe even deal with crowds.

So I'm working on a list of things that I want to do as soon as/if things get back to normal.  Places to go, people to visit - some ambitious, like major trips.  Some as modest as walking in the park and not worrying about social distancing.  Mostly, I just like the idea of having more time in the company of animals.

I've heard some people in the past say that we don't need zoos - we have TV shows and the internet.  After these past few days, all I can say is, they're a poor substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment