Search This Blog

Saturday, December 15, 2018

Words with Friends (... and PETA)

Image result for peta phrases

Jeez, you'd think PETA - the self-proclaimed People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals - would have bigger fish to fry.  The Norfolk-based Animal Rights group came out recently with new phrases that it wants to introduce to our lexicon to replace what it believes are anti-animal sayings.  Let's not mince words.  These are stupid.  Not only do they sound unnatural and inauthentic, but some of them don't even make sense.  To kill two birds with one stone is an impressive, or at least difficult, accomplishment in terms of aim and skill.  Two feed two birds with one scone... not so much.  I mean, unless we're talking about ostriches here.  You could probably feed a dozen birds with one scone.  Not that I would recommend it, though, because it would be unhealthy for the birds.

I will admit, in recent years I've developed a dislike for people using the word "zoo" to denote a chaotic, crazy situation. I can't say I would tie myself into such ridiculous linguistic knots to avoid it, but there is that.

There's been a lot of mockery of this in the press, as with most things PETA does.  So, in a sense, I guess their marketing team is kind of brilliant.  They got a whole lot of free press over this.  Most of it's bad, mind you, and brings to mind lots of peoples' favorite anti-PETA stories such as the high kill rates at their shelters, but hey, any publicity is good publicity... right?

Image result for peta phrases

No comments:

Post a Comment