Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Life Goes on at the Zoo

Shortly before Coronavirus kicked into overdrive, an animal that I used to work with a few years back - one that I was pretty close with - gave birth at a zoo across the country.  Pics and video have been shared on social media, and they're pretty freaking adorable.  I'd planned a trip to go and see her and her newborn, the first time I would have seen her in years.  Unfortunately, the guano hit the fan.

Every time I see a new picture or video online, I think, "Man, the damn kid is going to be full grown and with kids of its own before I get a chance to see it."

Earlier this week, I heard about the death of the bull moose, Tahoma, at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo.  Tahoma was a magnificent animal, the first and so far only bull moose I've ever seen, with a magnificent rack of antlers and a towering physique.  I'm sorry for the keepers who lost the privilege of working with such a special animal.  I'm glad that I got to see him a few years back.

At zoos and aquariums across the country, life continues to go on - in some ways.  Animals are born and eggs hatch.  Animals die.  Some construction projects lumber on.  Others were halted.  Introductions and separations take place, but transport between zoos is on hold, frustrating many breeding and transfer plans. 

More than anything else, we are missing one major aspect of our facilities - all of you.

We hope that you enjoy all of the online content in the form of tours, interviews, activities, and meet-and-greets with our animals that we've shared these past two months.  We've got enough material to last us forever, but it's not the same with a screen in between.

We look forward to welcoming everyone back once it's safe to do so.  There's so much that you've missed while you've been gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment