Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Closing the Living Coasts

Just last week, I was touting some great news from the United Kingdom, that the beleaguered Chester Zoo seemed to be saved by an outpouring of community support.  With the zoos of the UK about to open, I hoped that there would be enough support now to keep them all afloat.  Sadly, yesterday I learned that one beloved British facility will not be reopening.  Ever.


Living Coasts, located in Devon, is a unique facility, part aquarium, part highly-specialized zoo, focusing on marine and coastal life.  It won awards for its beautiful aviaries of sea birds, and was renowned for its seals, otters, penguins, and many fish.  I would have loved to have visited someday.  It looks like that chance won't come.

I'm so sorry for the keepers and other staff members who are seeing the end of a facility that they worked so hard for, as well as the community that lost such a spectacular jewel (the animals I don't worry about as much - I know they'll all find good homes).  It's a worrying reminder of how fragile our facilities can be - and it makes it hard not to watch the ongoing pandemic with increasing dread, as we never know what turn it might take next.

File:Living Coasts aquarium and aviary, Torquay - geograph.org.uk ...

No comments:

Post a Comment