Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Saving the Chester Zoo

I've never been to the United Kingdom, but I'd love to visit someday.  Mostly because of the zoos, of course.  If I had to limit myself to visiting just three during a trip (on the ridiculous assumption that my travel companions would want to do other things), I could probably force myself to narrow my scope.  The London Zoo would probably be the most convenient to visit, to say nothing of its important role in the history of modern zoos.  Gerald Durrell is a hero of mine who helped shape my worldview of what a zoo can and should be, so his Jersey Zoo in the Channel Islands would be wonderful to see.  In terms of which zoo has the actual animal collection that I'd be most eager to see, I would say Chester Zoo.

This time last week, the prospects of visiting Chester Zoo any time in the future looked grim.  To be frank, it looked like there might not be a Chester Zoo to visit.  With coronavirus closures strangling the zoo's funds, permanent closure looked like a real possibility.

Then the public stepped up.


Members of the public contributed over one million British pounds, certainly an accomplishment at a time when many people are having to tighten their belts due to a volatile world economy.  They also helped convince Prime Minister Boris Johnson to reopen the nation's zoos.  As much as I love them, zoos, I admit, aren't "essential" in the way many services are.  They are, however, much easier to visit safely than many public places are, especially those with few indoor areas.

The last few months have been scary ones, but it's refreshing to remember that, for many people, zoos are vital parts of their lives, and many people have come together to share their commitment to keeping them with us.  As American zoos continue to gradually open, it's worth remembering - we are here for our animals, but we are only here because of our communities.  As long as we have their support, we can weather almost anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment