Search This Blog

Thursday, December 24, 2020

A Christmas of Keepers

Since I graduated from college, I've worked almost every Christmas.  At certain points in my life, work has been close enough to my family's home that I've been able to make it up for Christmas dinner after finishing my shift.  On other years, I've celebrated with other keepers and their families.  On other years still, I've celebrated alone.

That's never bothered me too much.  This year, it's something that's going to be bothering a lot of people.

Due to the pandemic, many people will not be traveling for the holidays.  And I just want to say, from the perspective of someone who has missed a lot of Christmases - it'll be ok.  It feels a little weird the first time, and you find yourself wondering what you're supposed to be doing, how much holiday spirit to get into, and whether or not you should try to make a big deal of the day, or just treat it as the day between the 24th and 26th of December.  There's no right answer.

What I can tell you is that celebrating with your family whenever you see them next - be it a day or a week or a month later - is fine.  It loses none (or at least not much) of the Christmas magic.  

So if you are spending your first Christmas away from home this year, it'll be okay.  Hopefully it's just the one.  Unless you end up becoming a zookeeper or other position that requires you to work in a location-specific job.  Then all bets are off.



No comments:

Post a Comment