Search This Blog

Thursday, December 3, 2020

The Fairer Photogenic Sex

Looking through my photo collection, I've come to the conclusion that humans might be the only species in which females are more attractive than males.  Looking at my pictures of deer and antelope, ducks, songbirds, birds of paradise, lions, pheasants, orangutans, and so on, you might easily conclude that only the males of those species exist.  When I do take a picture of a female, it's usually because she has a baby and that makes her "worth" photographing to my subconscious.  

Generally, the males are big, showy, handsome, and sometimes borderline freakish-looking.  Females of many species are... well, drab.  I'm trying to correct the bias with my photography, not so much as to combat any inate sexism, but to create a more complete record of the animals I've seen.  Still, when you see a handsome peacock with his tail all spread out and shaking, it's hard to pay too much attention to the brown-and-white oversized chickens standing next to him.

Dave Coverly


No comments:

Post a Comment