Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2022

Can I Ask a Dumb Question?

This cartoon from MAD magazine really speaks to me...  I had a coworker once who was the master of the snappy, snarky comeback.  "Where are the otters today?"  "Oh, it's Saturday - they don't work weekends."  "Are those little ones in there the babies?"  "No, those are the adults.  In this species, the animals get smaller and smaller as they grow up.  One day, they just get so small we can't see them anymore."  Yeah, we got a lot of interesting letters about that guy.  I'm pretty sure HR had a dedicated file cabinet for him.


It's a refrain I've always loved that there are no stupid questions, just a bunch of dumb inquisitive people.  Still, the only way a lot of people learn is by asking questions, and, as we should want to encourage people to learn, we should encourage them to ask questions.  Treating them like morons just encourages them to keep quiet for fear of looking stupid.


No comments:

Post a Comment