Search This Blog

Sunday, December 10, 2023

Showdown at Natural Bridge

A few years back, I wrote a zoo review, an unusual review in that I didn't identify the zoo in question, just held it up as an example of what's generally considered a roadside zoo.  That zoo was, in fact, the Natural Bridge Zoo in Natural Bridge, Virginia (not to be confused with the neighboring Virginia Safari Park, also in Natural Bridge, which is unaffiliated, and is owned by the estranged son of the owner of the Natural Bridge Zoo.  Drama).

It turns out that I'm not the only person who's had standing disapproval of the Natural Bridge Zoo.  It's been a flashpoint for controversy for years, especially concerning their lone African elephant, Asha.  Recently, that simmering tension bubbled over.  The facility was raided, and many animals have been confiscated.  The story is still playing out, but I wonder if this could be the end of the notorious facility.




There's been a major crackdown in shoddy facilities in recent years (some might call it the Tiger King effect).  I strongly support the work of good, reputable zoos.  I have a lot of sympathy for facilities where the heart is in the right place, but maybe just need a little help and support to advance their standards of animal welfare.  But I have no interest in going to bat for poor facilities that engage in exploitative practices.   I've always felt that we, as a zoo community, are destined to be judged not by our best members, but by our worst.  So if those facilities aren't interested in improving, I'm all for cutting them loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment