Search This Blog

Sunday, August 26, 2018

The Bathtub Bash

One final rant on the subject of whales and dolphins under human care... the bathtub bash.  It is impossible to read any commentary on cetaceans in aquariums without someone howling about how they are living "in bathtubs."

I took a lot of creative writing classes when I was in school, and two phrases come to my mind every single time I read that.  One, "Avoid cliches like the plague."  Two, "Hyperbole is a billion times worse than understatement."

They aren't bathtubs.  Can you swim in your bathtub, because I can barely fit in mine, hence why I don't take baths.  Can you swim with several of your friends in your bathtub, because even if the thought of asking some of mine to join me wouldn't be profoundly uncomfortable in the extreme, that wouldn't work.  Also, can you and your friends swim in your bathtub to the degree where you can get out of sight of one another?  Because if you can, I'd say I want your bathtub, except that it would be bigger than my entire apartment.

Show some originality, at least...

No comments:

Post a Comment